1.06.2008

New book!!!

We had a great dinner with some great friends last night. It was fun and crazy with 4 toddler girls running around. Although my girls were doing most of the craziness part. Anywho, Cori, the other mama and my friend, let me borrow this book called The Mission of Motherhood, by Sally Clarkson. I'm hooked already. I've read the intro, chapter 1 and half way through 2. This lady is talking about all the things that have gone through my head as I've become a mommy. The author, Sally, is a woman who had spent most of her twenties serving God through Campus Crusade for Christ going internationally to speak to women and train leaders in places where Christianity was forbidden. When she married and then had her first child at 31, she had to figure out how to reconcile all the conflicting feelings she had about what being a mother meant. Others had their opinions, but what does God say? I thought it was thought-provoking to read Colossians 2:8 in light of figuring out what motherhood is about.
"See to it that no one takes you captive
through philosophy and empty deception,
according to the tradition of men,
according to the elementary principles of the world,
rather than according to Christ."
I also identify with her taste. Right now, I would like to take an overnight retreat to be with the Lord at a nice hotel where everything is already clean, organized, relaxing and maybe a little on the pampered side. So when I read where she recommends getting away for a few hours when life gets crazy to refocus, I was all ears. She suggested something I had never thought of that is much more affordable. Go for a few hours and get a coffee, bring your bible, journal and planner and find a cozy corner in a five-star hotel lobby. A mini retreat! Great idea! Chapter 2 is going into how God designed a family and it is fascinating to think of how God intended family to be prior to sin. In addition we just watched Narnia and I am blown away at how it really gives you a glimpse of how God meant for us to rule over the land and subdue it. But that's a whole other post...for later. I plan to post here about insights I get throughout the book because I really think this may make a huge impact on me and my family. Thanks for the book Cori! I think I may go buy my own so I can write in it! Here are 2 of my reasons for seeking out all this.

2 comments:

missy said...

Hi Jenn,

You are the second person in 2 days who have mentioned what a great book this is. I think I may have to go get it as well :)

Hope things are going well. We are good and down to the last few weeks before Joshua comes.

Love,
missy

Anonymous said...

oh jen! i would love to get together with you and talk about motherhood. a little support would be great right about now:) i will look for this book too.